Thursday, October 11, 2007

Emotional ranting

Why doesn't anyone get it? Why the fuck are people so fucking caught up in their own insanely stupid lives? Is it really that hard to go out of your way to smile at a complete stranger? To share a chuckle over an elevator packed beyond capacity with obnoxious college guys? To reassure someone that their thoughts are worthwhile? Is it really impossible to single out someone, and say "good job". Are we all so caught up in our own lives that we can't spare the time to help another human being? Are we all so impoverished that we can't buy a complete stranger a drink? That we can't leave an overly generous tip for a particularly flustered waitress?
I'm not a saint. I don't pretend to be. I give of myself, because I honestly think other people deserve things more than I do. I know myself. I too often find myself being stingy. Being cheap. Being the kind of guy who refuses to make eye contact with another human being because I don't value human life enough. Or is it because I think that if they look at me, that if they look inside me...that they'll know? That they'll stumble across the habits that I keep hidden so very well. That perhaps, they'll see who I really am, and be completely and totally disgusted.
I may love people, but I keep too much of a distance. That is something that I will be working on in the future.

But goddamnit. Let's just all admit our damned humanity...and recognise the humanity of those around us. I don't give a fuck who they are or what they look like. How they dress, how they smell, how tall they are, how short they are, how fat they are, how dark they are, how ugly they are, how smart they are, how nerdy they are....NONE OF IT MATTERS! If you have a problem with someone's externalities then don't become friends with them...but respect them as human beings. If we all were to laugh a bit more freely, and were to stop being such uptight sons-of-bitches...the world might...it just might...be a happier place to live in.


What do you have to lose? Honestly. If anything, you will gain dignity...and my respect.

No comments: